Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Work It! Review of The Biggest Loser Power Walk

I've been thinking alot about walking lately. Maybe because the weather has been so nice, but I know it's about to all change and be not so nice. Maybe because I read Mark's Daily Apple and he is always talking about how we don't walk nearly as much as we should anymore. And then I downloaded a pedometer app on my phone, thinking I would be so impressed with myself for how many steps I take in a day, and then found out I'm actually taking like 15% of the 10,000 steps a day I should be. Bummer. So, walking's been on my mind...so

When I found the The Biggest Loser Power Walk at the local library (hi, Pam!) I thought 1) This will be easy! and 2) Now I can walk indoors when the weather is bad!



Well, Easy it is not - or maybe it is? I'm gonna go with deceptive on this one, because while you are seriously power walking through the whole thing - each walk adds intensity by including light weights, jogging, jumping jacks, medicine balls, butt burners, standing crunches, etc. Whatever it is, it is SO FUN, and I'm addicted. I've done this video probably 5 times and I'm in no hurry to give it back to the library.

There are four separate 1-mile walks on this DVD. You can do all four or split them up, obviously. Each one is about 16 minutes long, so if you do the whole thing you're looking at just over an hour.

Instructor - 8

Gotta love Bob Harper. Actually he kind of annoys me, but he's a good instructor and easy to follow. He instructs 2 of the walks, and the other two are instructed by actual Biggest Loser contestants Tara and Sione. . They are my favorite part about this DVD, because they are like real people, and they do a great job of acting like your friends instead of your personal trainer. Plus, it's nice to be working out with people who are closer to my size than the flawless-bodied trainers on most exercise videos. Props to them. I like 'em.

Intensity - up to a 6

This REALLY depends on how much you put into it. You could barely move your feet and make as small of movements as possible the whole time, do every modification they give you and you could probably walk 4 miles pretty painlessly. Or, you can make big movements and opt out of all the modifiers and you'll be dripping sweat by the middle of mile 3. Obviously, the more you put in the more you will get out, and the harder you work and give it your all, the more calories you'll burn and the higher your heart rate will get. Go big or go home.

Difficulty - 1

It isn't. If you know how to walk, march, jog, and do a jumping jack, you're good. All the other add-ons are just as easy. This is one of my favorite things about this workout. Whereas other workouts I like being able to completely zone into what I'm doing, this walk dvd doesn't require much concentration at all. It's a no-brainer, and sometimes that's exactly what I need. Must be what I need a lot of lately because I keep coming back to it!

Overall - 8

There's just something really nice about working out to a video where I am in better shape than most of the people on the video. Definitely does not happen very often. Biggest Loser workouts are great for the self-esteem boost, because you see really overweight people doing the exact same workout - and they live to tell about it and so do I. This DVD is perfect for beginners, but also is a great workout for non-beginners if you really dig in and push yourself. Just goes to show you don't have to do complicated, showy exercise routines to get a good workout. Sometimes a great power walk can do the trick!

If you have any questions or suggestions for me, leave me a comment!