Monday, December 31, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Mugs

I've wanted to share this little project for awhile, but I had to keep it under wraps because I gave them all away for Christmas gifts! I couldn't ruin the surprise, but now all the chalkboard mugs have been gifted, and I can share them with the rest of the world!



I saw these first on The Small Things Blog, and she directed us to this blog for the super easy tutorial on how to make your own set.

The most important thing is to make sure you have the right supplies. Here's what you need:

1. Ceramic (or glass) mugs that are dishwasher and microwave safe. Some of mine said oven safe, but some didn't, and they turned out fine. I think most ceramic is oven proof anyway.

2. Green FROGTAPE.


I tried the blue painters tape at first, and pretty much had to do them all again with the Frog tape. So, don't be like me.

3. Pebeo 150 Porcelaine Chalkboard Paint. This paint is made for ceramic and is non-toxic and bakeable. I was unable to find any other brand or kind of chalkboard paint for ceramics, and I would not risk using a regular chalkboard paint with this project. If you want the mugs, use the recommended paint. I found it to be the cheapest at the above link.

4. Paintbrushes, newspaper for covering table surface, and a glass razor/scraper for correcting mistakes.

The How-To is really, really easy:

1.  Tape off your mugs with the Frog Tape. Technically you could cover the whole mug and just leave the rim, but they look pretty cute if you tape off a section and leave some white ceramic showing!

2. Paint the surfaces you want to be chalkboard  - this will probably require several coats. A little bit of the paint goes a long way! I did 14 mugs for Christmas and used an entire bottle and just a tiny bit of a 2nd bottle.

3. Let the paint dry for at least 24 hours. Take the FrogTape off as soon as you are done painting the last coat. Remove the tape CAREFULLY - even the best tape can leave jagged lines if you aren't careful.

4. Bake the mugs in your oven at 300 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Put the room temperature mugs in a hot oven, but when they're finished baking, turn the oven off and leave the mugs inside until the oven has completely cooled off. Otherwise the mugs could break from drastic changes in temperature.

Let's pretend the bottom of my oven isn't dirty, ok? Thanks. 
Once the mugs are completely cooled off, they are ready to be used! The chalkboard paint is now dishwasher and microwave safe! You can draw on them with chalk (I found a huge box at Target for $.99!) and then use a damp dishcloth to erase and redecorate! Fun!





I'm not exactly an artist when it comes to chalk, but you get the idea!