Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whole 30 - Days 1 and 2

This Whole30 thing is not for the faint of heart! Everything is going great and I haven't caved into eating anything off limits yet, so I'm considering that a "WIN" in my book!

Here's what I've noticed already:

1. I was not as clean of an eater as I thought. I would have told you a week ago that I ate "really healthy", but now I'm seeing that I really just liked to think that about myself, while I grabbed another piece of bread or chowed down on ice cream, chocolate, pretzels, crackers, cheese, cookies, chocolate, did I mention chocolate?

2. I miss cheese. And you, chocolate. I'm trying not to focus on the things I can't have and instead think of the ways I can enjoy the things I can have. However, it's hard not to want to over-do it on the things I can have, so I'm still having to be intentional about making the "best" choices and not just the "acceptable" ones.

3. Boy, is #2 a life lesson I probably need to apply to other areas of my life.

4. We are going through meat and other food like nobody's business. I've made a trip the grocery store every day this week. Mostly my own fault, but still. I already need to buy more ground beef. Yikes.

Here's a quick recap of what I've eaten:

Day 1 - January 1, 2013
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with cut up spinach, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes, and about a tablespoon of ghee (in the whole skillet - 3 portions), plus some browned ground beef. Also, a cup of coffee with about 1.5 Tbsp of coconut milk.



Lunch - Thankfully had the day off so I broiled some chicken breasts drizzled in olive oil, salt, and some all-purpose seasoning. Also, roasted broccoli (my fave!)


Dinner - We had dinner with my siblings at my mom's house last night, so we had baby carrots and homemade guacamole, some sliced brisket, and a salad with lettuce, peas, carrots, tomatoes and more guacamole for dressing. Passed on the 6 different kinds of dessert - had another cup of coffee with coconut milk. 

Day 2 - January 2, 2013 (today)

Today, the crazy set in. Yesterday I was all excited to start something new and I'd been preparing for so long that I was ready and determined. Today was a different story. Breakfast went great, because I baked this yummy egg casserole yesterday that has all kinds of delicious things in it. Recipe coming soon in a different post. 


Breakfast - was about 1/8 of this casserole and coffee w/coconut milk. 

At work I had a cup of tea and a cup of black coffee. 

Lunch  - was leftover grilled chicken from yesterday and kale chips. 

Somewhere around lunchtime, I started getting pretty ravenously hungry. The chicken breast helped a little, but the kale chips definitely left something to be desired. Considering the only carbohydrates I'd had were in the vegetables for breakfast (ie: hardly any), I can see why! 

On the way back to work, Loren and I were discussing evening plans (car shopping), and realized we weren't going to be back home until after 6:00pm. Cue: crazy. I get a little irrational when I'm hungry, and the realization that a) I was still hungry and b) I wasn't going to be able to eat anything again for like 7 hours (!) made me come unglued calmly suggest that I run into Costco and buy some apples to get us through the afternoon. 

Let me tell you, folks. That was the best apple of my entire life. It was cold, super crisp, and deliciously sweet. I felt like I was in the Hunger Games - I ate seriously every available piece of apple flesh off of that gorgeous Braeburn and was so thankful for every bite. I'm pretty sure that apple experience saved me from calling this Whole30 off for good and diving into a bag of pretzels asap. 

Told you. Crazy. 

Anyway...after the tremendous apple help, I was busy enough through the afternoon and car shopping kept me entertained that I really didn't even start to get hungry again until we were almost home. 

Dinner - I made a "meatza" - which is like pizza with a meat crust instead of meat toppings. For some reason this sounded like a great idea, and I'm not really sure why. I guess I forgot that you have to drain ground beef when you brown it, so I was unpleasantly greeted with greasy, shrunken "pizza crusts" when I pulled them out of the oven. 

Yum. Lucky for you, I didn't take a picture. 

I topped them with some (homemade) tomato sauce (because I can't have any tomato sauce with sugar in it) (which is all of them) and spinach, and some pepperonis, and then broiled it for like 3 minutes until the toppings got hot. 

Verdict = gross. 
Never making this again. 
Might be okay in meat loaf form.  

After dinner I had like 5 cashews and a dried apricot, and a cup of coffee with coconut milk. 

I did not work out today, mostly because of time but also because I've been really tired the last 2 days. I've heard that's pretty common with a Whole30 - it takes time for your energy levels to stabilize. I'm committed to powering through and reaping the great results I've heard so much about!

Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.  - 
Isaiah 55:2