Sunday, January 20, 2013

Whole30 Days 16-20

Well, here we are day 20 of the Whole30! Time has just been flying by and it really doesn't seem too hard to be eating this way.

Day 16 - January 16, 2013

Breakfast - breakfast casserole with eggs, zucchini, ground beef, and other various veggies I had in the fridge.  These casseroles last for so many meals!

Lunch - super exciting - took the last of the breakfast casserole with me to work.

Dinner - At the last minute my super lovely in-laws invited us over for dinner. Buffalo chicken thighs - how could I possibly resist? I made some chopped apples cooked in coconut milk/pumpkin pie spice as a side dish. We also had kale chips which were delicious and sweet potatoes with ghee and cinnamon.

It's always so nice to


Day 17 - January 17, 2013

Breakfast - Made some "spaghetti" scrambled eggs - I ended up chopping up some spinach and tomatoes, and then added leftover pasta sauce with ground beef and broccoli in it and heated through, and then scrambled 6 eggs in with it. Pretty good for a spur of the moment concoction! Also had some green grapes.

Lunch - Had lunch with my mom and sister at Chipotle! Salad with the grilled fajita veggies and steak with mild salsa and about 2 Tbsp of guacamole.

Dinner - Husband was out of town so I kind of grazed on some rotisserie chicken and carrot chips and an orange... Looking back I really should have sat down and focused on eating meat and vegetables, but I was busy doing other stuff around the house. Ideally you should eat a meal free of distractions - no cell phones, no TV or computers, etc to distract you. It really does help you feel more full and like you really savored your food.

Day 18 - January 18, 2013

Breakfast - carrot souffle from the freezer and an apple. Should have had some protein with it but I completely ran out of time trying to get myself and the dog out the door by myself. For some reason having my husband out of town always makes me run late(r than usual).

Lunch - Rotisserie chicken and a sweet potato with some melted ghee and pumpkin pie spice.

Dinner - leftover pork ribs from a few days before... I also had previously made some comfort noodles (zucchini)- which did not turn out at all like the picture or how I expected, not sure what I did wrong. However, they were delicious and the stringy, noodly texture of the zucchini was, in fact, sort of comfort-food-ish.

I also had some raisins after my workout. Shame on me.

Day 19 - January 19, 2013

Breakfast - had an italian brunch breakfast casserole my MIL made and some strawberries/blueberries. Also, 3 cups of coffee. Oops.

Lunch - I was in the midst of cooking up a storm so I had some rotisserie chicken and an apple. And like 2 cashews, and some carrot chips with almond butter.

Dinner - Chocolate Chili, baby! This was one of those recipes that I had noticed before even doing a Whole30 and wanted to try for a long time. I made the recipe in a really huge pot on the stove, but then transferred it to my crock pot for it to simmer all afternoon. It really was delicious. Not very chocolatey, but the flavor was very smoky and rich - so much that one bowl was more than enough for me! We topped it with some wholly guacamole as a garnish and had some plaintain chips to give it a little crunch.

I had one of those moments during this meal where I thought, "look at us eating bowls of beanless chili, with plaintain chips instead of fritos or cornbread, and with no cheese or sour cream in sight!"

And then thoughts of "I miss cheese"..... (I really do.)

After dinner I was having a severe battle with the sugar dragon. Dinner was satisfying and all, but I was  really just bored and going a little stir crazy and I really wanted to just go out on a little date with my husband and get some frozen yogurt, for crying out loud! With the exception of a couple trips to Chipotle, we have eaten almost every single meal at home this month, which is really great but I was just wanting a little fun!

So we settled for watching School of Rock and I made some "ice cream" out of frozen bananas and a smidge of cocoa powder and nutmeg and coconut milk. And you know what? It turned out to be a really fun night together after all. I'm not sure I really taught my sugar dragon a lesson since I did have banana ice cream, but at least I didn't have anything that wasn't fruit. Still technically compliant.

Day 20 - January 20, 2013

Breakfast - I made a breakfast casserole yesterday with bacon, spinach, zucchini, carrots, and...apples. I don't know what got into me. I got it in my head that it would be good, and the next thing I knew I had chopped up an apple and threw it into the egg mixture. And then I over-baked it a little because the last egg casserole I made was still a little mushy in the middle. Oops. BUT - it was really good! The apples + bacon gave it a nice savory sweet flavor.

Lunch - leftover Chocolate Chili + plaintain chips.

Dinner - Mango Coconut Chipotle Chicken with some Paprika Cauliflower Rice. The rice was better than the mango chicken concoction. I'm just not usually a fan of chicken thrown in the crock pot when it's frozen. I know it supposedly can be done, but I've never had very good results. Anyway, it was dinner and it met the Whole30 requirements so it was fine.

My energy levels feel really good and I have been feeling great during workouts. It's so nice to work out without being sugar-logged. Otherwise, it's been pretty smooth-sailing without any crazy side effects really. I've been sleeping really soundly, and while the feeling like I could go to bed at 8pm has subsided, I have been falling asleep a lot more quickly and feeling really rested when I wake up.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! If you have any questions or just wanna say hey, leave a comment!