Friday, January 25, 2013

Whole30 Days 21 - 25

Day 21 - January 21, 2013

I had the day off because of MLKJ day - hooray!

Breakfast - a piece of my scrumptious bacon +  apple breakfast casserole. Couple cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - leftovers - mango coconut chicken with some riced cauliflower again.

Dinner - roasted spaghetti squash with tomato basil pasta sauce and some ground turkey and roasted broccoli thrown in for good measure. I also cut up a head of butter lettuce (my FAVE!) and a baby cucumber and dressed it with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, S+P.

My husband and I were commenting while eating this dinner that we have eaten a surprisingly little number of salads this entire month. It was not uncommon for me to make a big salad for dinner because it was filling and a good way to get your veggies in. However, for some reason I have been more in the mood for hot, spicy, savory veggies instead of raw veggies. 

Honestly, I think the idea of not being able to have any conventional salad dressing scared me so I just stayed away from it altogether. The salad we had with this meal changed my mind though, and also made me wonder why I was so scared to make my own dressing? Easy peasy! 

After dinner, I made some banana ice cream. 

Day 22 - January 22, 2013

Breakfast - breakfast casserole. Coffee with coconut milk. 

Lunch - leftover chocolate chili from last week. 

After my workout I had a handful of dried apricots. 

Dinner - I made a beef brisket in the crock pot that was seasoned with coffee grounds, cocoa powder, cumin, salt, and coconut milk. We shared it with my in-laws and my MIL made awesome sweet potato wedges with cayenne pepper + cinnamon + chili powder. She also made some cauliflower rice, and some steamed yellow squash/broccoli/mushrooms, and a fruit salad. We had a huge dinner and it was wonderful!

After dinner I had a cup of coffee with a splash of coconut milk.


Day 23 - January 23, 2013

Breakfast - breakfast casserole and some blueberries.

Lunch - leftover spaghetti squash and ground turkey tomato sauce, and a butter lettuce salad with a chopped cucumber and blueberries with some homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Seriously was sad for lunch to be over because this was so delicious.

Dinner - When I got home from work, I realized that our eggs were about to expire and we still had most of the dozen left. So - I improvised and made a delicious breakfast hash with scrambled eggs, a shredded sweet potato, and some leftover brisket from last night chopped up. I added a little bit of S&P and cooked it all in coconut oil with some chili powder and (what else?) pumpkin pie spice. It was spicy sweet deliciousness! With dinner I had some coffee with coconut milk, and a glass of blackberry green tea.

Day 24 - January 24, 2013

Breakfast - the last of the bacon apple breakfast casserole. And a red delicious apple.

Lunch -  brisket and a sweet potato with some melted ghee and pumpkin pie spice.

Dinner - Taco salad! I diced up some chicken and cooked it in a pan with some diced onion and garlic in coconut oil. I added cumin, chili powder, S+P, cilantro, etc. I also riced some cauliflower and cooked that in coconut oil with chili powder, onion, garlic, and salt. Chopped up some iceberg lettuce and zucchini, topped it with chicken and "rice", and then added guacamole and some fresh salsa. I just love taco salad - Loren and I agreed we could eat it for dinner 3 times a week!

Day 25  - January 25, 2013

Breakfast - I made a new breakfast bake last night and this time it was in a muffin tin! Individual serving sizes to the rescue! I had 2 and a handful of grapes.

Coffee with coconut milk at work. Starbucks Sumatra - yum.

Lunch - leftover taco salad and a few more grapes.

Had a blueberry larabar (no added sugar!) when I got home before I worked out with Jillian. And a few cashews after.

Dinner was quick and simple - sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice, and some broiled chicken breasts with a little bit of hot sauce because I almost burnt them yesterday so they're a little dry. I was on the phone and cooking like 4 different things at a time. That always seems to happen when I'm using the broiler.

My friend Natalie had a fun Pampered Chef party at her house, and was nice enough to have cut up veggies for me since, you know, I pretty much can't eat anything else. I was in the presence of cheese for the first time in a month and didn't cave so that's good news. I was also tempted by a super delicious looking avocado dip she made with greek yogurt and cilantro, which made me look forward to buying greek yogurt again in February! She also made delicious lemon water that was so good and has left me thinking I need to flavor my water more often, because I think I drank at least 3 glasses at her house. Thanks for keeping me hydrated, Natalie!

It's hard to believe we've only got 5 days left! This week has been a little bit more difficult than usual because we've all been really concerned and praying like crazy for my sweet little nephew. He contracted RSV and strep and pneumonia at 3 weeks old and he was 6 weeks premature. Not a good situation. We are praising God that he finally had a day of improvement and is more stable currently than he has been all week.

Needless to say there have been other things on my mind than food, which has been good, but also the added anxiety has been making me crave things I haven't even cared about until now! The other night as we were eating dinner, pretty much all I could think about was a diet coke. When I was in Aldi yesterday, I caught myself looking at the packages of whole wheat gnocchi! What in the world?! Definitely no plans to buy that stuff again! Well, okay, maybe ONE diet coke to reward myself for all my hard work and discipline. I'll probably regret it, but that will just strengthen my resolve, right?

I've also noticed over the past week that I really want to exercise! I had a headache one evening earlier this week, and I just knew that doing one of my walking workout videos would do the trick. Sure enough it did, and I felt great afterwards. Yesterday was the first day in 9 days that I just legitimately didn't have the time to workout, which I immediately forgave myself for. I think 9 days in a row is an all time personal record! It just feels so good to get moving and sweating and heart pumping! Yay for Whole30 energy!

That's all for now. The next Whole30 post I do will be the wrap-up! Hooray!