Thursday, January 17, 2013

Work It! Review of The Firm 500 Calorie Workout

While I'm definitely not what you'd call a "Firmie", I have come to appreciate The Firm workouts because they really do seem to be effective.

Today I'm reviewing The Firm's 500 Calorie Workout


I did this DVD a lot before Christmas (desperate not to let my sugar indulgences get the best of me), and I must say once I got the hang of the moves I really started to enjoy it. All you need is light hand weights, and it is a full 1 hour long! 

Instructor - 8

Kelsie Daniels is a pretty impressive aerobics instructor. For the entire hour long workout, she is constantly telling you what your next move is and what is coming up, in addition to explaining how to set up each of the moves and counting out reps. She is one of the easiest Firm Instructors to follow, in my opinion. Yay, Kelsie!

Intensity - 8  

This workout is truly a workout. It alternates between cardio/aerobic sequences and strength combination moves working literally the entire body. I'm out of breath by the end of the first cardio sequence, and there really is no breaks until the end! It is a commitment to work out hard for an entire hour, but it feels great knowing you accomplished it and that you're stronger than you think you are! Be prepared to sweat and huff and puff... But, no surprise there, right? It is called the 500 Calorie Workout...

Difficulty - 7

This is my biggest complaint with The Firm workouts. Sometimes the movements get tricky, and since I'm not a dancer, I'm not the quickest to catch on to fancy footwork. The biggest challenge to this workout is getting the hang of what the moves are and doing them with the right form. In addition, this workout is really fast-moving, so there's not a lot of practice time to get the moves down right before you're already moving on. After a few times of pushing through, I started to get the hang of it and it got so much easier. I would imagine if you have any type of dance experience at all, you would have no problem with this. 

Overall - 7

I really like the constant movement and variety of movements that this workout offers. It's a fun, fast paced hour and it really doesn't seem that long when you're so focused on moving. I expected it to be an intense workout, based on the title, but it was a lot more fun than I expected! Like I said, it's quite the commitment to do an hour-long video, but if you've got the time in your day and want to sweat it out, this is a great one to do. 

If you have any questions or suggestions for me, please leave me a comment!