Monday, February 4, 2013

Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe - Paleo Friendly!

Due to popular demand*, I'm posting my recipe for vegetable beef stew today! Aren't you excited?

*by "popular demand" I really mean that my bff Lauren asked me for it, and I felt like sharing. 

This stew really does hit the spot on cold winter days. Plus it's a great way to get in a bunch of vegetables without feeling like you're crunching for an eternity on raw veggies.



Vegetable Beef Stew

  • 2 lbs beef stew meat
  • 2 med-large sweet potatoes, diced
  • 1 med-large onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1 can cut green beans, drained
  • 2 cups kale
  • 1 large (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 6 cups beef broth (I used 1 4-cup container, and then added 3 beef boullion cubes with 2 cups of water
  • 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • about 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  1. Add some coconut oil to a large skillet, and brown some minced garlic once it's hot. Brown the stew meat on both sides. It doesn't need to be cooked all the way through necessarily, just lightly browned. 
  2. Line bottom of your slow cooker with diced onion. Add the browned stew meat on top. 
  3. Now my favorite part - throw in all the rest of the ingredients! 
  4. Stir together - not vigorously or anything, just give it a good mix. 
  5. Turn crock pot on low for 6-8 hours and let it all simmer and meld and get yummy. Enjoy!
I would advise waiting to add salt and pepper until close to serving time. The beef broth I used added more than enough sodium, so if I had added salt, it would have made it too salty. 

Hope you enjoy it! Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions!