Monday, May 20, 2013

3 Ingredient Cookies

Anybody seen those 3 ingredient magic cookies on Pinterest?

Me, too!

I made a batch last week when I had pretty much a whole bunch of over-ripe bananas that were at the point of use-'em-or-lose-'em. The good thing is, it is so rare that I actually eat a dessert anymore that I think these are fantastic. If I were still in my days of regular chocolate chip cookie (dough) frequenting, these would probably be gross.

But if you eat a healthy diet and aren't severely addicted to sugar - good for you! You are unlike 90% of Americans. And, you'll probably love these cookies.

I adapted my recipe from Skinny Taste's recipe.

3 Ingredient Cookies*
makes about 30 cookies

5 over-ripe bananas
2.5 cups oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips

*More like four ingredients because I also added:
1/4 cup natural almond butter (no sugar - just almonds!) - or other nut butter. Same rules apply.

**Actually now that I think about it I added a little vanilla extract and a smidge of salt. I'm gonna say those don't count as "ingredients" for the sake of the name of these cookies.

Mash bananas well, add oats. I have used a food processor to blend the bananas before. (Don't put oats in the food processor, though. Whole ones are necessary to keep the recipe from getting too soupy.)

Add chocolate chips (and almond butter and other "non-ingredients" if using). Mix well.

Use a cookie scoop, drop rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment/silicone/sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 7-8 minutes. Keep an eye on them  - they bake fast! Enjoy hot and keep extras in an airtight container. These stay soft and, at my house, they are gone in no time!