Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Meat Sauce Stuffed 8-Ball Squash (Paleo friendly)

Heard of 8-ball squash? Me either, until we went to the Farmer's Market last Saturday.

Precious, round little zucchinis that kind of look like pumpkins! I asked the farmer what they were, and he told me that his wife stuffs them with italian sausage and marinara sauce and then bakes them for an hour.

SOLD, and then every other lady within earshot of the farmer telling me that bought one too. Give us a recipe, and we cleared out his entire stock that day!

I was super excited to make these for dinner, and honestly I wish I'd bought more than three so I could have made more! I am definitely planning on making another trip back to the market asap so I can buy some more!

Here's what I did and some pics of how it turned out.

Meat Sauce Stuffed 8-Ball Squash

4 Medium 8-ball Squash - cut the tops off and scoop out the insides to form little "bowls"
1lb ground turkey, beef, or italian sausage
Shredded carrot
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, etc
Cracked red pepper, to taste
24oz pasta sauce (try to find a "clean" version of jarred without sugar or processed ingredients, or make your own)
Shredded mozzarella cheese or parmesan

Preheat oven to 350. Add the ground meat, the insides you scooped out of the zucchini (chopped), and grate 1-2 medium carrots into a skillet. Brown the meat and other ingredients and add seasonings to taste.

Add the jar of pasta sauce to the browned meat mixture and heat through. Put the squash in a glass baking dish and drizzle a little bit of olive oil & salt & pepper inside. Scoop the sauce/meat mixture into each squash until filled to the brim. Bake all of this for 1 hour. The squash skin will be slightly tender and easy to cut through.






To serve, cut the squash in half lengthwise, and then sprinkle with shredded cheese or parmesan. Enjoy!!