Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer

I recently had a somewhat sad realization. Upon some self experimentation, I am pretty sure that the eczema I have been struggling with on my hands for a year is due to dairy consumption. I got it cleared up with some steroids from the doctor earlier this summer, but I knew it had to be something I was eating when it came back about 6 weeks later. 

Confession time: while I eat probably a 80% Paleo diet, I drank half-and-half or heavy whipping cream in my coffee multiple times a day, and I have a big-time weakness for cheese. Let's just say those two items have been making up a significant portion of my diet lately. 

Until last week, when I decided to do a dairy-free week to see if it helped clear it up. I also used my Young Living Melrose essential oil blend, Geranium essential oil, and layered their Rose Ointment over those. I probably used that combination about 3-5 times a day, and I also used my leftover prescription cream from the doctor, but very, very sparingly (maybe 3 applications the whole week). 

From last Sunday to this Sunday, the patches on my hands have pretty much gone away completely. I'm thankful for answers, finally, to this issue. 
But I'm sad because this girl really loves her cheese and half-and-half!
 I'm sure long-term it's better for my overall health if I enjoy those things as occasional treats instead of daily staples.  But I'm still a little bummed. Ok a lot bummed. 

ANYWAY, I digress. 
I figured if I'm destined to find an alternative to half-and-half, 
I better find a way to like coconut milk! 
I remembered seeing a fun pin on Pinterest with a recipe for pumpkin spice flavored coconut milk creamer.
 I tried to find that recipe, but I got tired of looking and just decided to wing it (story of my life...).

Here's how I did it:

  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 can pumpkin puree
  • 2-4 Tbsp agave nectar (or honey, or maple syrup)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice to taste
Put all ingredients in a blender and give it a whirl until well mixed. Mix into your coffee. Enjoy! 



It turned out really delicious! I tried to use a very small amount of agave, but if you want it sweeter, you can add more to taste. If you're dairy free by choice or by circumstance, try this recipe!