Friday, October 4, 2013

The Mascara Chronicles: Review of Rimmel Scandal Eyes

I have a confession to make: I have never once bought the same mascara twice. Ever! I always intended to find "the one" I liked best, but everytime I would go to the drugstore or Target or Walmart or Sephora, there were so many options! I couldn't possibly NOT try a new one when there were all these amazing claims being thrown at me!

Lengthening!
Curling!
Volumizing!
Blackest Black Ever!
Lycra!
Thick!
Luxurious!


What is a girl to do?

Try a new one every time, of course.
So I figured I might as well share my findings
in case you are not like me
and are in search of the perfect mascara for you.

So, today I am going to talk about
Rimmel's Scandal Eyes

Sorry bout the poor picture quality.

I got this Scandal Eyes in "Extreme Black" at Wal-mart, on sale for about $5, which I think is a fair price for drugstore mascara. It retails for $6.99 at Ulta, but you can always use coupons so it's a pretty inexpensive product.

In general, I am okay with Rimmel products. Not always super impressed with their quality, but sometimes they surprise me. In the past, I have really liked Rimmel mascaras, which is what convinced me to give Scandal Eyes a shot.

I hate to start this little series off on a negative, but I really don't like this mascara AT ALL.

Granted, if you read the description, it does tell you that it offers a "50% larger and thicker" brush than the average mascara. However, I was completely unprepared for a brush that was bigger than my entire eye. I mean, this thing is huge, and I have unusually large eyes. In fact the brush is so big that it's hard to use. I find that most of the time, when I use Scandal Eyes, I end up making a mess with the mascara because the brush is too big to control in the corners of your lashes. It gets all over my nose, under-eye area, and it is especially bad at messing up my eyeshadow. Grr. :(

In addition to the humungous brush, the mascara itself seems really thick and hard to apply evenly. I wouldn't say it's clumpy, it's just...messy. The brush boasts "flexible" bristles to avoid clumping, but everytime I pull the brush out of the tube, I have to wipe the bristles off back into the rim because it pulls out a HUGE gob of mascara with it. Once applied, the mascara seems to take a long time to set and dry, so the slightest movement makes it go all over your eyes. Blinking should be discouraged for several minutes unless you want to take a Q-tip and clean up your mess.

My advice? Skip this mascara. I'd give it a 3/10 rating.

What kind of mascara do you wear? What mascaras would you like to see me review?