Friday, December 13, 2013

Perfectly Steamed Spaghetti Squash

While browsing the Internet for new recipe ideas, I came across several pins on Pinterest claiming you could make spaghetti squash in your crock pot. My first thought was - no way, that would never work! But, I had 2 spaghetti squash to use up and curiosity got the best of me.


http://www.stacymakescents.com/crock-pot-spaghetti-squash

Sure enough, I was amazed at the results. I stabbed 2 medium spaghetti squash all over with a fork (probably 10 stabs each), and then put them in my largest crock pot with about 2 cups of water. We set it to low for about 6-7 hours. When I pulled it out, the squash was so squishy that it was incredibly easy to cut. If you've ever made spaghetti squash, I'm sure you're familiar with the life-threatening task of struggling to cutting it in half with the biggest knife you own. Not this way! I sliced it in half and then scooped out the seeds from the middle. Then I took a fork and scraped out the "noodles" into a large bowl. The texture was perfect, and the noodles pulled away from the skin completely, so there was hardly any waste! I added some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then topped it with some meat sauce and parmesan reggiano cheese. 

Now that I know that this magical crock pot method works so well, I am dreaming up all kinds of amazing spaghetti squash concoctions! It is my favorite way to still enjoy a spaghetti-like Italian meal without worrying about the refined flour and processed ingredients found in most pasta. The possibilities are endless, and now it can be a "set it and forget it" meal for busy weeknights.