Thursday, January 30, 2014

Whole30 Complete!

It is the end of Day 30, friends! My husband spent about 8 hours smoking pork ribs for us today, so we ate like paleo kings for dinner with baked sweet potatoes that were melt-in-your-mouth delicious. All the food from dinner has been put away and the kitchen is CLOSED - which means our Whole30 is officially complete!

We are planning to do a final weigh in and measure tomorrow, so I will be sure to post our results here. I am excited to see what our "numbers" are - even though the benefits are so much more than losing a few pounds.

One of the best things I've noticed this time around is that my skin has been so much clearer! I usually have a monthly breakout and then if I eat junk food, I'll break out even more.

This month, I have only had ONE blemish pop up, and using Dragon Time & Melrose essential oil blends took care of them in one day! Before January, with the holidays and being surrounded by junk food, I was having a really hard time keeping my breakouts under control. My monthly breakouts would last a good 4-5 days if not longer, and I was getting frustrated that my face was never clear for very long. But taking a month off from sugar, dairy, and all grains (and washing my face with a homemade citrus sugar scrub) has really helped my skin, and is one of my biggest motivations to not go back to a ton of dairy and sugar in my every day diet.


I will say this last week of the challenge we kind of fizzled out. We have had a lot going on, so we have had a lot of easy meals that make big portions for leftovers. My husband was out of town a few days this week, and when it's just me, I do NOT cook. So for dinner a few nights I had a cucumber slices with mustard & turkey, and carrot chips with some wholly guacamole. Glamourous, I know. I also made a beef rump roast in the crock pot with just some seasonings & coconut aminos & banana peppers, and we were able to eat that for several days. 

Over the course of this month, we have also made plans to purchase a side of beef from some friends who raise grass-fed cattle. We are SO excited to have great quality, local, 100% grass fed, antibiotic free beef, and to be able to know and trust the people who raise it makes such a huge difference. It also didn't hurt that their prices were amazing compared to what grass-fed beef goes for these days. 

However, knowing we have several hundred pounds of beef coming means we gotta clean out the deep freeze! A few months ago, I pre-made several simple, paleo-friendly freezer meals like chicken breasts in various marinades, beef roasts with carrots & onion, and meatloaves. We have been able to eat many of them over the month if we needed a quick no-brainer dinner. It has been SO nice to have options available that are already made! 

Last year when we finished our first Whole30, the only thing I could think about was a Starbucks sugar free peppermint mocha. That was the first non-compliant thing I "ate" - and it was awful tasting. Just terrible. Fake sugar and skim milk and burnt espresso. Bleh. 

This year, the thing I'm most excited about is the block of Kerrygold cheese in my freezer! I know that I need to take it easy with dairy going forward, but I am very much looking forward to some organic, high-quality cheese & half/half as a treat! 

I apologize for the lack of recipes for you guys in this post. The only thing I really used a "recipe" for (if you can call it that) was to make some friend plantains as a snack this weekend. 


I seriously just sliced up 2 plantains, melted some coconut oil in a skillet, added the plantains and let them "fry" for about a minute on each side on med-high heat. Lower the heat if they start to burn. Season LIGHTLY with salt - a little goes a long way! Let cool & Enjoy! 

I will post again with our results and some final thoughts & tips for those doing or completing a Whole30 tomorrow!