Thrive this Fall: Chemical-Free Skin Care

I don't know about you, but when the weather starts getting colder and more dry, it can start to wreak havoc on my skin! Ever since I can remember, I have had issues with super dry skin pretty much all over my body, and I also struggled to keep my complexion clear. I tried dozens (if not hundreds) of lotions, creams, cleansers, moisturizers, ointments, and salves all promising to cure me of my skin woes - and not a one of them ever worked as well as I hoped! 

Now I realize that I was actually slathering my body in toxic chemicals masked as nourishing creams and I was just contributing to and worsening the problems with my skin. Nothing ever helped so back to the store I would go to to buy another promising product. What I really needed to do was ditch the chemicals and clean up my diet. For me - and probably for you, too - my skin is a window into the rest of my body, and specifically in my gut. If I get sloppy about avoiding sugar and wheat products and processed food, I notice lots of inflammation and dryness all over my skin and I start to break out on my face. Also, now that I have switched to skincare products free from chemicals, my skin will definitely let me know if I use a product that has something synthetic or toxic in it.  

It took me about a year of consistently removing chemicals from my skincare before I really started to see a difference. It can be discouraging to switch out all your products to natural ones, infused with pure, therapeutic grade essential oils and still struggle with breakouts and dry skin. But I stuck with it, and I am glad I did, because eventually my skin evened out and started to look and feel really good! It can also be really hard to find good natural skincare products that are both chemical-free and deliver on their promise to cleanse and nourish the skin. 

Thankfully, Young Living has some absolutely amazing skincare options! As with everything Young Living does, their skincare line was made with the highest quality, purest ingredients and they are so luxurious and effective! Let's talk a bit about each option:
The ART Skincare System is what I personally use the most, and I absolutely love it. It is beautifully packaged and performs like crazy expensive department store brands, except it is completely natural and good-for-you ingredients. It is a 3-part system:
  • The ART Foaming Cleanser is my favorite cleanser ever! It really cleans my face and it has some amazing essential oils in it like Frankincense, Sandalwood, and Melissa!! 
  • The refreshing toner is actually refreshing and doesn't leave my face feeling dried out like other toners I have tried. It has Frankincense, Sandalwood, Melissa, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, orchid extract and aloe! 
  • The Light Moisturizer is so moisturizing, but really is light on your skin. It helps your skin retain moisture and proper hydration. It is an exquisite combination of nut and seed butters and plant extracts, along with more Frankincense & Sandalwood essential oils. It is lightweight, but provides intense moisture and I absolutely love it!!


 I like to use the ART system at night before bed, and Orange Blossom Facial Wash in the mornings as I start my day. When I went recently to a Young Living Beauty School in Alabama, they taught us that the ART Skincare System is excellent for more mature skin, while the Orange Blossom wash is excellent for younger/teenage skin. Orange Blossom wash is wonderfully refreshing and smells bright and happy!
 
 Satin Facial Scrub is a fantastic, invigorating, and chemical-free exfoliator. The peppermint flavor makes it nice and refreshing and it does an excellent job at helping to slough off the old, dead skin and allow new, bright skin to shine through. When it comes to exfoliating, less is more because you can start to irritate the new skin with too much scrubbing. Satin Facial Scrub can be used up to 2-3 times per week to keep your complexion bright, smooth, and healthy!

One of my favorite things about Young Living oils is how amazing they are for your skin, and what a noticeable difference they can make when you add oils to your skincare routine. Frankincense is my FAVORITE skincare oil of all time, hands down. Myrrh is another favorite (I love to apply it neat because it is thick and moisturizing!), and Geranium is so soothing and nourishing! Another unlikely oil I have found to be amazing for my skin is Vetiver - I love to pair it with Geranium directly onto problem areas and occasional breakouts. Works incredibly well to improve the appearance of my skin! Add any of these oils to some moisturizing carrier oil like Jojoba or Argan oil, or add a few drops into your ART Light Moisturizer or favorite facial cream (just make sure it doesn't have chemicals in it) and notice the difference after just a few weeks!

Our next few posts in this series will be some fun DIY recipes for fall & winter skin care! Perfect for gifting this season or some DIY fun with friends!

Have questions about these products or Young Living? Contact me here and I will get back with you!
Ready to get oils in your home? Check out this post to find out how!
Order your starter kit and receive a welcome gift worth $25 from me: https://bit.ly/hannahshanks